Friday, January 9, 2009

The quest for ultimate network engineer continue...

In less than two weeks time, I will retake JNCIS-M exam which is about to expire in the end of the month. Being suspended for JNCIP-M make me have to wait at least 6 months before I can have an opportunity to take the lab exam again. Once I have told that actually I will be able to pass this exam because I have planned to sacrifice my holidays for doing lab practice. I have said that there is enough time just to pass the deadly test. But if I think about it again, I must say that my boss decision is wise.

The reasons are these :

First, soon we will enter ox year. My chinese horoscope is goat, which means I am a mortal enemy for ox. So in this years, my luck will be hard to get. I can't depend of my luck nor my intuition in this whole ox year. Yet, I have to master all and make myself really confident before taking any exam.

Second, while I may be able to pass the exam, it means as small things to me. Except extending my JNCIS-M and taking me to new level, there are no other meaning. Now I think it would be better for me for learning many things about networking before enduring any test. Not because it's fun, but there are something more valuable than mere certification: reputation. Building a good reputation is really hard. Have one means that you are recognized as a responsible and professional network engineer, not only because you're certified, but because of the skill you possess.

Certification is valued "empty" if you have only knowledge for passing that certification only. That's why I reject the idea of studying only testking or pass4sure for passing the exam without having the knowledge. While I cannot prohibit such things to be used, I believe testking or pass4sure on the wrong person will bring only misery for the person instead of fortune.

The good person will study the material and then testking or pass4sure for helping him pass. But this is sounded not right, isn't this? I said good person for a "cheater". Well, the point is it is not considered as a cheating if you learn it before you take the real exam. Because in the real exam, any questions can be asked.

The idealist one will only learn study material and have his own conclusion let him pass the test. Actually, passing the test without using any testking or pass4sure is possible. I have proven that more than once. Of course my adrenalin was increasing when I took the exam and ended it. It made my heart beating fast when I saw the final score and thank god I always passed despite my scores as low as hell.

Debating about testking and pass4sure versus study material is like debating about open book exam vs closed book exam. Which one is better? I think both are good considering that in the real world there are no such thing like closed book exam. In real world, we are free to study anything we wish to accomplish our mission. Closed book exam only evaluate one thing : the capability of one person for remembering something. That's it.

So what is the situation making someone considered as cheater? Someone can be called a "cheater" if he/she only depends on testking/pass4sure for passing the test and then he/she stops learn about the field of exam he/she has taken. If a "cheater" realizes his/her weakness and then study real hard to bring him to the same skill level as expected, then he/she have become the true network engineer.

But that doesn't mean he/she can be said as ultimate engineer. To be an ultimate engineer, someone must possess not only knowledge, but the spirit of keep on studying new technologies by himself/herself. An engineer who always depends on others to teach him anything cannot be called as an ultimate engineer eventhough he/she has high skill. Ultimate engineer will never give up if they encounter any hardship, but use any obstacles they meet as challenges to make themselves better and better. That spirit differs them from ordinary engineer.

And even I still learn how to acquire that kind of spirit. And I think before I can be such an ultimate engineer, I will be retired first.

Just realize something - I'm not young anymore. There will be time when I have to pass the stick to my younger colleagues - hoping someday they can be an ultimate engineer and be success in their own journey...

No comments: