Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Suspended for JNCIP-M

Yesterday my request for taking JNCIP-M exam was rejected by my superior. When I heard the news, it hit me like lightning strike on the broad daylight. Well, I have been doing several routing projects in the last three months. The first one is Excelcomm MPLS separation in which I involved as mere project engineer, i.e : helping my colleagues doing router configuration. It's very easy and it was a very good way for entering routing world once again :)...

The second one was Indosat Hongkong gateway upgrade phase 1. This task was very easy too since we encounter power capacity problem at the Hongkong site. Therefore, Indosat decided to split the delivery of the project into two phase. The first one - which had been done just recently - was meant to deliver the router physically into the site and doing some initial configuration on them. The second phase - which far more challenging and interesting since there will be migration activities - will be begun in early January.

The third one is the current project I and my team handle. This is the most interesting task I do between these three projects. In this project, we coorporate with Ericsson Indonesia delivering 3G Network for Axis, one of very fast-growing GSM provider in Indonesia.Ericsson engineer is very nice and I must say he possess networking skill more than mine right now. Being inactive for two years in routing activities is enough for me to forget many things. I'm still struggling reviewing back all the material needed for doing decent configuration.

It's really fun anyway. I realize I still need time to be back even at JNCIS level. And for taking JNCIP-M at the end of January, actually I think I'm still capable to pursue the deadline. Since there are only two more chapters in JNCIP-M that I haven't practiced. My plan previously is to sacrifice this year's Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year event for practising JNCIP-M.

So, when my superior rejected my request and ordered me to do routing work for at least 6 months, well....first thing I feel is upset. Of course, I have already planned it since three months ago. But now well, I think that's not a really bad decision anyway. In this way, I could reduce my stress and having fun for New Year's event :). And meanwhile waiting for JNCIP-M exam opportunity again in the next 6 months, I could use the time to take another exam. My CCNA is also going to expire in less than 6 months later.

I am going to take the next level, either CCNP or CCIP, and this time I must use my own money since my company doesn't support this exam. Well, 6 million rupiahs (about $600) is not a small amount of money for me. (Well, There must a reason that keep me still single until this day, mustn't there?). My savings will decrease a lot so I don't want to waste any my hard-earned money this time.

Still a long way to go to be a truly networking expert....;)

1 comment:

Asad said...

Mas steve skarang ngincer CCNP/CCIP yaks. breng yuk ambil exam nya :D